Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Traditions



What are your traditions for Christmas?

The Pastor Priest in my Church decided to bring "simbang gabi" here in New York. Simbang gabi, or a mass every night/early morning for 9 days before Christmas is a tradition in the Philippines to celebrate the Advent Season.

He introduced it to other church goers as Mass Novena before Christmas. There are different groups who were assigned for each night and the second day, I think, was assigned to the Filipinos. The groups are spanish, italians, phil-american, american and other groups that I am not really sure who are them.

The Filipino team is planning to prepare the traditional foods of the Filipinos for Simbang Gabi.

Having a mass for Jesus is a great way to celebrate Christmas, isn't it?

5 comments:

Mel Alarilla said...

Christmas is more meaningful and more spiritual in the Philippines than in the US. Although, Filipinos also yearn for the material comforts and gifts at Christmas, they never lose track of the true essence and spirit of Christmas which is Jesus Christ. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Tikno said...

No special tradition in my family because there are many religion here, and we live in harmony.

Joy0z said...

Thanks for the visit and comment. Merry Christmas.
By the way, you're so gorgeous on your header photo

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to celebrate Christmas! After all Jesus is the only reason for the season. I have an award waiting for you! I hope you know how much I love you and how much I so enjoy reading your blog! You are so dear to my heart. Love you!

Anonymous said...

It's true, Christmas in the Phils. is much better. I miss "simbang gabi."

Merry X-mas.