Before the Phillipines was invaded by the Spaniards, Filipinos worship trees, animals or the nature itself. Because of this, beliefs were created and practiced to show respect to their gods in order for them to have good luck and blessings. These superstitious beliefs were passed on from generation to generation. Although we now live in a modern era some of the beliefs are still being practice by Filipinos especially the ones who lives in the province.
Our folks beliefs are really crazy. Have fun reading the things that our folks believed. The primary source of this collection is Neni Sta. Romana-Cruz's Don't Take A Bath on a Friday: Philippine Superstitions and Folk Beliefs.
1. If you want to know what your lifetime partner will look like, wake up in the middle of the night and take a look at yourself in the mirror while holding a lighted candle. At first, the image in the mirror will appear to be a skeleton. After five minutes, you will see a full view of the person you will marry .
2. During the wedding ceremony a bride must step on her husband's foot in order to that both of them will agree on things that they will undertake, and so that her husband will not be cruel to her.
3. It is bad luck for two siblings to be married within the same year. In order to remedy the situation, the sibling who marries later in the year should pass through the backstairs of the church on the day of the wedding.
4. Removing plates from the table while an unmarried woman is still eating will keep her single all her life.
5. If a pregnant woman wants to avoid the unpleasant symptoms of pregnancy, she should step over her husband while he is sleeping and all of her symptoms will be transferred to him.
6. When a baby lies on her stomach for the first time, place a pencil, paper, and a book under her so that she will be intelligent.
7. When a woman is about to give birth, place a lighted candle under her bed so that any witches passing by may be seen.
8. After studying at night, place the book you've been studying under your pillow, and you will retain what you have read.
9. Don't comb your hair at night, lest you become bald, orphaned, or widowed. But if you must comb at night, bite the tip of the comb first.
10. At the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, eat twelve grapes which represent the twelve months of the year. This will ensure money and good luck throughout the year.
11. If you dream that one of your teeth is being pulled out, this means that a family member will die.
12. If a spoon falls during a meal, you will be visited by a woman. If it is a fork, a man will be visiting, while if it is a teaspoon, it will be a child.
13. If you choke briefly at mealtime, someone far away remembers you, or is talking about you. To find out who that person could be, immediately ask for any number from the people who are eating with you. The number that will match a letter in the alphabet will be the first letter of the person's name who knows you and is the one who might have remembered you.
14. When a stranger or distant relative arrives in your home, serve him water first so that he brings you only good news.
15. Never sweep the floor at night, or you will lose all your wealth.